Tivoli Storage Manager: Security bulletin
– TITLE: Security Bulletin: Tivoli Storage Manager client encryption key password vulnerability (CVE-2014-4818)
– ABSTRACT: A vulnerability in the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) client would allow a local user to obtain the encryption key password.
A vulnerability in the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) client would allow a local user to obtain the encryption key password.
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager client contains a vulnerability that would allow a local user to obtain the encryption key password used for backups and restores.
CVSS Base Score: 2.10
CVSS Temporal Score: See http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/95451 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (AV:L/AC:L/Au:N/C:P/I:N/A:N)
Affected Products and Versions
- TSM 184.108.40.206 through 7.1.1.x
- TSM 220.127.116.11 through 6.4.2.x
- TSM 6.3 all versions
- TSM 6.2 all versions
- TSM 6.1 all versions
- TSM 5.5 all versions
- TSM 5.4 all versions
|7.1||7.1.2||IT06016||A fix will be provided for 7.1.2 on 4/17/2015 or apply the workaround.|
|6.4||6.4.3||IT06016||A fix will be provided for 6.4.3 on 7/14/2015 or apply the workaround.|
6.1, 5.5, and 5.4
|Upgrade to fixing release or apply the workaround.|
Workarounds and Mitigations
- Create a user group (e.g., tsmusers) that includes all users that need to use the TSM client.
- Restrict access to the stored encryption key password by restricting access to the client Trusted Communications Agent (TCA) by using the user group created in Step 1.
- Use chgrp to change the ownership of dsmtca to include the tsmusers group.
chgrp tsmusers dsmtca
- Use chmod to set the execute bit for the group so that anyone in the tsmusers group can run dsmtca.
chmod 750 dsmtca
- Use chmod to set the SUID bit for dsmtca so that users in the group can run it with elevated privileges.
chmod u+s dsmtca
- Verify that the group has the execute bit set for the dsmtca file using:
type ls -l dsmtca
The output from this command shows that the SUID bit (s) is set for dsmtca in the user field and that the execute bit (x) is set in the group field.
-rwsr-x— 1 root tsmusers 13327961 2011-05-19 08:34 dsmtca
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
The vulnerability was reported to IBM by Bartlomiej Balcerek from WCSS CSIRT
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an “industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response.” IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
|Storage Management||Tivoli Storage Manager Extended Edition||AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS||5.4, 5.5, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 7.1||All Editions|
|Storage Management||IBM System Storage Archive Manager||AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS||6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 7.1||All Editions|